Tuesday, May 1, 2007

2 steps forward...1 step back





A nurse woke us up this morning at 3:45 am to let us know the neo-natologist (sp?) wanted to talk to us. I called the number provided and was greeted with a very kurt woman on the other line. She was telling me that they had to innabate Baby B (Nate) as he was working too hard and would not be able to breathe if nothing was done.

Nate sleeping






I collected my thoughts and headed down to the babies' room. There were four nurses/doctors around Nates bed, pushing, prodding and manipulating his various assortment of tubes. It looked a little scary, but they seemed to be calm and collected. They explained what they were doing and suggested I talk to the neo-natologist I had spoken (regrettably) with earlier on the phone. Again, very short, and kurt and caused more concern with me then I originally had. After she left I commented on her to the nurses who all apologized for the way she talked to me.
Things seemed to be in hand, so I returned to the room, and Kim went down to follow up. She called me a few minutes later and said I needed to come down as something had just gone wrong. I headed down while a nurse watched over Sophia as she slept. I got down to the room and everthing ended up being okay, but Kim said it got a little hairy there for a bit.
Jack Sleeping on Day 3






After getting some more rest, we visited the babies'room several times throughout the day, and everything was pretty much status quo. They had some BRIGHT lights on Gabrielle and Nate to help on their jonsis (sp?) The kids had some pads covering their eyes that looked like sunglasses, Gabbi looks like she is lounging by a pool. Also, Gabbi is now breathing completely on her own and doing great. Jack is just sleeping alot and still needs some help for breathing, but doesn't need the BRIGH light as of yet.

Gabrielle in her faux shades




Kim is still recovering and was not feeling very good today. They are going to keep her an extra day, so her come home day is now on Thursday. We will still spend a lot of time at the hospital until the babies come home, and they will most likely come home at different times, which will actually help us adjust easier... I think.

5 comments:

fields.jaime said...

Zak and I have had your family in our thoughts. I am so excited to get to come and visit with Cori and her mom on Saturday. I can't wait to see the babies:)

See you Soon! Jaime

Showalters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Showalters said...

We are praying for you all.

Love,
Lil' Sis and family

Amy Egger said...

We are praying for the little babies to grow and be strong. Hang in there Mark & Kim.
Love The Eggers

Unknown said...

Thanks for the updates. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!